Avoiding Separation Anxiety
1. Select a small safe space eg. Laundry (small spaces make a dog feel more secure)
2. Place their bed, toys etc., in here
1. Every feed is given in this room to associate it
with a ‘good’ place.
2. Start to leave your puppy in there 2 or 3 times a day on its own, starting for 5-10 minutes or until puppy wakes up and slowly increasing time. Make sure that a radio or TV is playing softly so that the house is not silent.
This is especially effective when puppy is sleepy after a feed, so learn to utilise the pups
3. Never open the door while the dog is barking or wimpering. You may go to the door and scold the dog with a short & loud NO, without opening the door, if he/she is making a noise.
4. When the time period is completed and the dog is quiet, open the door and remove dog praising him/her mildly.
Remember: consistency is the key...